Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Olympics


I think it is safe to say that I have "olympics-fever." If you have read my blog much, you know that I really enjoy watching people performing at their best. The Olympics are just that, the best in the world showing their talents. Throw in the national pride that is involved and I am hooked. I have been watching as much of the coverage as I can. I have even watched badminton, trap shooting, and synchronized diving. Can you believe that? I just love watching the competition. The event that really got me up off of my seat was the Men's 4x100 freestyle swimming relay. I have been on a Michael Phelps watch since the games started. If you do not know about Phelps, he is a swimmer who got 6 gold and 2 bronze medals 4 years ago (at age 19). This year he is attemping to break Mark Spitz's 7 gold medal record in one olympics. I could talk about that for quite awhile. Phelps was the first leg of the relay. Before the race, the anchor for the French team (the heavy favorites) was talking trash and saying all they came to do was "smash the Americans." I do not like trash talk like that to begin with, but when it is the French and they are dogging Phelps and Co.? Oh man, it is going to get serious. If you have not watched the relay, you should. Before I go on, click this link and watch the race.
Now, was that not inspiring? I was watching that live at 10:45PM and since Abbie was asleep on the couch, I had to jump and quietly go nuts. That kind of performance by someone who has been ripped on by the media and considered washed up (Jason Lezak) just gives me goosebumps. Usually when Phelps wins a race he is pretty calm. I have never seen him so pumped up! I just wanted to go run 20 miles at 11PM! I could go on about a number of other events and people that are fun to watch, but I think that relay has been the best event so far. Phelps swims for 2 more medals tonight (Tuesday). I will give you one more amazing fact before finishing up. While training, Michael Phelps consumes 8000 to 10000 calories a day. Can you believe that? It takes most people 3 1/2 to 4 days to consume that much, and he is a bean-pole! I hope you all have a good week and I will try to write some more if I can get some time away from the Olympics.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

U-S-A!
U-S-A!
U-S-A!

I agree. I've got Olympic fever, too. I have been staying up late to watch it, but am glad that it only lasts another week as I need much more sleep than what I've been getting due to staying up later than normal.

I love the swimming, too. Haven't seen any badminton, though.

PHELPS IS AWESOME. WAY TO GO, ATHLETES!

Jami