Monday, February 04, 2008

Super Bowl thoughts

I watched the Super Bowl last night (as did 97 million+ others according to Nielsens). I thought it was good game, with a GREAT finish. The game seemed to plod along for awhile. But, you get that when you have defenses that are playing well. The fourth quarter made the game. There was one play (if you watched, you already know which one) that determined the game as far as I am concerned. When I watched this play, I knew, without a shadow of doubt, who would win. When a much maligned and generally quiet quarterback makes 3 defenders (who have a hand on him) miss and then steps back and throws downfield to a well covered receiver who makes a catch using his helmet to hold the ball on the way down, you know that they have IT in their favor. Whatever IT is, they had it. I knew it then, the rest was just details. I am not kidding. My first thought when Eli made that play was: The Giants are NOT going to lose this game, PERIOD. I wanted the Patriots to win. Not that I am a Patriot fan, but I enjoy perfection in sports, or at least near perfection. I loved watching Michael Jordan. I watch golf only if Tiger is playing. I wanted the Patriots to win because it would have been the perfect season. But, I am happy they did not win. I saw Peyton Manning's reactions watching his brother, and I saw how Eli handled himself as a winner (he has handled being a loser and the goat of the New York media before) and I felt good for him. He deserves it. What an unbelieveable story. New York loses their probable Hall of Fame running back to retirement, starts the season 0-2 (almost 0-3 except for a goal-line stand), loses their "star" tight end with a broken leg, then win 10 straight ROAD games to become Super Bowl champs. I really enjoy the NFL. I am not an NFL fan of any one team really, I enjoy the players, games, stats, and stories. I think it would be even better if Brett Farve made it back next year to win another Super Bowl. One last thing, as I was watching the game, Abbie was playing and watching some, too. At one point she was sitting with me and we watched a kickoff return in which someone got plastered. I exclaimed, "ooooo" and on cue Abbie exclaimed, "ooooooo". I laughed and she laughed and we both decided that "Boom," he got pounded.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with several of your points.
That play was THE play of the game. OUTSTANDING.
Would love to see Favre come back next year for the ultimate championship season. Too bad it wasn't this year.
I'm glad the Giants won.