Thursday, February 28, 2008

Crowded HOUSE


House, seasons 2 and 3 arrived today. I am pumped for this weekend. I can not wait to watch! Well, I guess I am happy to spend time with my wife and daughter, too. Amber watched an episode with me (the one with the pharmacist who made a mistake) and she was not as enthralled as I am. It was not that she did NOT like the show, but she does not like it as much as I do. I figured since Hugh Laurie is the star that she would be all over it. He is a cohort of Emma Thompson's (one of Amber's favorites) and has been in some of Amber's favorite films. I really am not as possessed by this show as I sound. I just have not found a TV show that I like this much in a long time. I also have to fill the void until college football and the NFL come back around. I used to watch ER religiously, but I just did not stay with it. I remember at some point when The Cosby Show, Seinfeld, Hill Street Blues, Knight Rider, The A-Team, and a whole host of other TV shows were what I could not wait to watch. Does anyone remember Max Headroom? How about The Flash? Those were two that I really liked, but were unfortunately short-lived (I must have been in the minority). I really have not gotten into the "reality" TV shows. Other than House, I have not watched a network TV series on a regular basis in a long time, and I have only watched House on DVD. I feel like I am rambling. Television shows get me blabbing, I guess. I am presently listening to Aretha Franklin's Eleanor Rigby. I love the Beatles' version, but if you have not heard Aretha sing her version, it is worth it. Abbie is sleeping and I can hear her breathing on the monitor. I am thankful she has not gotten the flu, and I pray that she continues to be healthy. The Flu is unbelievably rampant here. The pharmacist I worked with today said this was the worst flu season she had seen in her 20+ years in pharmacy. A doctor's office called yesterday and prescribed Tamiflu(R) for their nurse and PA to be taken daily for a month. They said the drug rep for Tamiflu(R) told them that the maker of Tamiflu(R) (Roche) is recommending that they take Tamiflu(R) daily to try to keep from getting the flu. I also had a lady tell me her son got sick with influenza A, got better, then got sick with influenza B. I have been wondering if these periods of rampant sickness could get worse. It just seems that these epidemics are growing in intensity and the way medications are prescribed, we could be bringing some of it on ourselves. We have been dispensing antibiotics at an alarming rate for some time. I am not saying that they are all unwarranted, I am only saying that the more we use these drugs, the more the bugs figure out how to beat them. Just look at how much MRSA (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRSA ) has spread in the past few years. I am not a prophet or the son of a prophet, but I think these infectious problems are going to worsen, sooner rather than later. Wow, how did I get on that rant? Anyway, I will keep you updated on the fun that House and his friends get themselves into. Have a good weekend.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoy your blogs, Job. It's a good way to hear how you and the family are doing. And, I like to see what your latest "RANTS" are about. Ever watch channel 4? Some of your blogs remind me of Kevin Ogle's RANT section because you're putting your opinion out there and asking for input. Love it. And, of course, you know that I am willing to share MY input. Please, don't stop your blogs due to your sister's inputs.
I do remember "Max Headroom," but never watched it. I don't remember "The Flash." I have not paid much attention to TV in a long time, but really realized how little I watch it whenever we were without a tv for over a year while we were remodeling. . .no reBUILDING our home. I missed the sports. . .that's pretty much it. That's about all I watch these days.
MRSA. . .good topic. Horrible increased incidences that we're seeing in our office. And, we're OB/GYN. What in the world? I know I've seen 3 cases of it within the past month. . .1 case was hospitalized, but all are still on antibiotics trying to get over this stuff. I always culture the infections that come in, but treat empirically for MRSA, because that's almost always what it turns out to be. Bactrim DS is the po medicine we're giving left and right, but if they go in the hospital, the IV med is none other than the big gun. . .VANCOMYCIN. Yikes. Anyway, beware of MRSA. If you ever suspect you might have it, see your physician immediately!
JOB, I'd like to hear your take on the FLU vaccine.
Jam

Dannielle said...

James and I LOVE the show HOUSE. Can we rent them from you after you've finished watching them?????