Saturday, February 09, 2008

2 sides to every story


This is a picture of Abbie and our newest family member, Frisco. He is a black Lab and is a year or two younger than Al. He has stayed with us for brief stints before, but is now here permanently. He is definitely a switch from Little Al. Frisco is more high strung than Al (which could be said of most slugs on the planet). He (Frisco) seems to be fitting in well, but it is hard to bond with him as we have with Al. Doesn't Abbie look like a little girl and not a baby girl?
The title on this blog is a bit cliched, but is nonetheless true. I am seeing this more and more at work and at home. How is it that two sides to a story can differ so vastly? People at work will describe how a customer has treated them poorly, and the customer's story paints the associate to be the bad guy. Now I know that people tend to embellish stories somewhat, but other peoples' versions of events rarely seem to match up with the way I remember them. Case in point, the Roger Clemens ordeal. If you have not heard about this story, let me try to describe it in as few words as possible. Roger Clemens is a Major league baseball pitcher who pitched for a long time and seemed to get better with age. He had a paid trainer that worked with him in Toronto and when he was with the Yankees. Now that baseball is trying to get steroids out of the game and point out who used steroids in the past, Clemens has been tagged by his trainer as a steroid user. The two men have been deposed before a Congressional committee and will speak in public hearings next week on this issue. Clemens vehemently denies using steroids and his trainer says Roger is lying. His trainer even went so far as to produce syringes and gauze that were supposedly used to inject Roger with steroids. I say all this to show how different two sides of this story can be. I doubt that either one is the whole truth and probably neither is all false. It is just hard for me to hear how someone else viewed events that I viewed in a very different way. I am not able to put this in words very well, but I see things the way I see them, and I have a hard time believeing someone else could have seen them differently. I am sure that this makes no sense, but I have been thinking about it some, so I tried to spit it out. Understand? Then, you must have seen it differently.

No comments: