Saturday, June 14, 2008

Post-birthday thoughts


Well, Abbie's 3rd birthday has officially ended. Celebrations may now cease. All kidding aside, things went pretty well with the birthday this year. Amber toned down the extravaganza and I think it helped her (Amber) to be able to relax a little and enjoy the party more. Abbie had a good time at Chuckie Cheese with Barney, but really enjoyed the cupcakes and presents at home. The family enjoyed putting together Abbie's blocks (yes, we really did). At my parents house it was fun to see Abbie playing with Rachel, Rosie and Lawrence. I did not take my camera, so I am sorry for no pictures of that. I was glad to have some time off to celebrate, it was a fun time.

It was different to see Mom and Dad's new house. The house at Newkirk was such an icon that I have a tough time thinking of Mom and Dad "at home" anywhere else. Their new home is real nice. It is always fun to get into a home that no one else has been in yet. They both seemed happy with the home and I think being nearer to Jami and the kids is good for Mom and Dad and Jami. They are closer to us, too. It really is not that far for us, but that two lane highway through rural Oklahoma is a little bothersome at times (for some reason, Dueling banjos started playing in my head).
While we were at Mom and Dad's, Jami played the piano. I fancy myself to at least be musically informed, but the piano is just beyond me. I took lessons as a youngster, but of course did not apply myself and they did not take. Now, I would love to be able to sit at a piano, put a sheet of music up and just play. That is a wonderful talent. I suppose I could pick up a tuba and play, but as you know, tubas are not quite as melodious as pianos. It is a little tougher to find one lying around, too. I say all that to say that I am proud and even jealous of my talented sister. I wish I had her talent with the piano.
OK, I am going to see what stinky-britches is up to. Have a good weekend. Oh, by the way, Tiger Woods is one shot off the lead in the US Open after two rounds. It may not sound like much, but it is his first tournament back since having knee surgery, so he is allowed to struggle, isn't he?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Was great to see you guys! We must get together more often. I loved watching the kids play, too.
I'll have Scott on the lookout for a tuba at the local garage sales. I would definitely enjoy hearing you bust out with Boomer Sooner or the good old Newkirk High fight song.
Job, as I told you the other night. . .your mind amazes me. Your "smarts" and knowledge of such a wide variety of things is something I think I've envied in you. I've always felt like things came easy for you, but I always had to work really hard and still didn't excel like you have. Anyway, we are both blessed by God to have great parents, families and jobs. Hope we can continue to encourage each other to do things to the best of our ability and to glorify our God. I am proud of you!