Sunday, June 22, 2008

Lots to say

So much time and so little to say. Strike that, reverse it. I feel like I have a bunch of stuff to talk about, but I am afraid it will only come out as random anecdotes and ramblings. I am in a musical "mood," if you could call it that. I took my MP3 player to work this weekend and it was eye-opening to hear some tunes again. I listened to some classic rock, contemporary Christian, and of course, The Beatles. Then, Amadeus was on this evening. Although it is not really a documentary, it is a great movie and Mozart had unbelieveable talent. So, after listening to The Beatles, and watching Amadeus, I have been thinking about people who can not only play wonderful music, but about the people who wrote it. Mozart was composing at 4, can you believe that? Lennon and McCartney went from Love Me Do to the epic Abbey Road and even to the sometimes bizarre white album. There was a big evolution in their songs from the early to late 60's, but they still produced some of the best music ever (in my opinion). I just want to interject a word of thanks to my Dad for introducing me to most of the music I have been talking about. Without Dad's album collection or listening to classic rock stations to and from our trips to work, I would have no idea who Edgar Winter is or what the rockin' pneumonia and boogie woogie flu is. Dad's enjoyment became my enjoyment. Then, about when I hit my junior year of high school, I started to have my own music to enjoy. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, and some other bands from the Seattle area just really seemed to have the music I liked. When the lead singer of Nirvana died, the drummer, Dave Grohl, went on to make an album of songs he had written. He played drums, guitar, bass, and sang on almost the whole album. Just another example of a really gifted musician and song writer, just in a different package than John Lennon or Paul McCartney. Actually, Dave Grohl recently got up on stage at a Paul McCartney concert and played drums for Band on the Run (one of McCartney's hits with his band Wings), and Grohl's group, the Foo Fighters, did a remake of the song. I feel like I am rambling a little, but as I say, listening to some music has gotten me thinking.

No comments: