Monday, September 04, 2006

Nicknames

What is it about nicknames? Why do we come up with goofy little monikers for each other? When I was growing up, I was Snicklefritz to mom, Hammerhead to Grandpa, Jacob (Ja-kobe) to Jr. Dowler, Moby to any number of guys at school, and one of my favorites was Joebobaloopbobaloopbamboomtuttifruittionrudy. Keith Parr came up with that when I was in middle school and he would call me that every time he saw me. There are many others where the name has stuck so well as to become the preferred name. Eldrick Woods is "Tiger," Norman Esiason is "Boomer," and Anthony Webb is "Spud," to name a few. I have noticed in the past couple of days that Abbie already has a number of nicknames. I call her a number of names without even thinking of it. "Pooter-dooter," "Squirty-squirt," "Stinky-girl," "Little Miss Squat in the Bush," to name a few of the most common names. I do not know why this is important enough to write about, but it is something I have been thinking about. What if the name "Pooter" sticks and everyone calls Abbie that? I do not think she will appreciate it as she grows up. I am afraid it is too late, though. I call her "poot" without even thinking. I have a friend from college that has been called Buster ever since he was a young boy. He still went through a period when he wanted to be called Don instead of Buster. I think Buster would probably be preferable to Pooter (or Don for that matter). I am reminded of an episode of "The Andy Griffith Show" where Andy is trying to help a couple patch things up because they argue all the time. In the course of trying to get them to be nice, Andy has them say "Mornin' Honey," to each other when they first wake up. When they first start, the phrase is said, but still with the same spite and venom. My reason for bringing this up is Barney Fife's reply to their first attempt; he says, "I would rather be called skunkface than have someone say good morning to me like that!" I think that phrase is hilarious. Am I alone in noticing all these nicknames? Does anyone else have some good nicknames that they know of? Think about the nicknames that you say to people without even noticing them. Have a good Labor Day, see you soon.

No comments: