Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"He was his own greatest fan"

I often wonder why it is that I generally laugh the hardest when I tell a joke or funny anecdote. Is it that I am the only one that gets it, or is it that it is just not THAT funny? I get a kick out of plays on words and sayings that you have to think about for a second to catch the humor. For instance, have you seen the stickers at the gas pumps lately that say "our gas has at least 10% ethanol"? I saw a sign outside of a liquor store today that said "our ethanol has absolutely no gas in it." I guffawed for a block or two over that one. But, most people probably barely giggle at that. I am one of the oddballs who likes a good pun, even though that is probably an oxymoron. I just think a good pun is its own reword. See, even now, I am having trouble not giggling at that one. A pharmacist I used to work with would tell people who were about to take a colonoscopy prep, "I hope everything comes out ok." Generally, when I come up with one of my own puns about something at work, I think it is hilarious and everyone else moans in agony. The oddities of words and how they can be twisted has always been cool to me. I love words like "palindrome," "onomatopoeia," and "over-pronation." Maybe my enjoyment of words and the twisting of meanings is also the reason for my aggravation at butchering those same words with bad grammar. I would like a little input on this blog, let me know what you think of puns or if I have ever annoyed you with one before. In the meantime, here is one I found just now, so enjoy!

A woman has twins, and gives them up for adoption. One of them goes to a family in Egypt and is named "Amal." The other goes to a family in Spain; they name him "Juan." Years later, Juan sends a picture of himself to his mom. Upon receiving the picture, she tells her husband that she wishes she also had a picture of Amal. Her husband responds, "But they are twins-if you've seen Juan, you've seen Amal."

Thank you, thank you very much.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't stand a chance: I'm married to and am a sister to THE TWO BEST PUN USERS IN THE WORLD!

I often find myself trying to explain SCott's humor to others. He will say comments that have a hidden meaning, but no one seems to get it. So, there's usually an awkward silence that I try to fill by explaining what he meant.

I've often asked Scott, "Do you not care that people don't get your humor?" He said he doesn't. Just like you said, "A good pun is it its own reword." Oh, dear.

I think it's good exercise for your brain to try and come up with a play on words. I find my mind working overtime when I'm talking to SCott as I'm trying to catch any hidden meaning that he's trying to get by me. Ugh. Keep it up, you guys. You are HILARIOUS!

Job, post any funny ones you say or see! THey're great.

Franklin Wood said...

Grrrrrrrrrooooooooooaaann!!!! :)