Sunday, August 20, 2006

The BEST in THE WORLD

I digress from writing about my daughter for a moment to reflect on greatness. Today I watched Tiger Woods win his 12th Major Championship (2nd all time to Nicklaus) in convincing fashion. Just to give an idea of the performance, Tiger was playing on the longest course in the history of the majors, yet he tied the lowest score in the history of the PGA championship (-18), and he had the fewest bogeys ever in a major championship (3). I could go on with the stats, but suffice it to say he is the best player in the world. The fact that that statement would not be argued by sane people is staggering. This is a situation where you can say "he is the best golfer on the planet," and you are not wrong. That to me is unbelieveable. I know Tiger is wealthy beyond compare, but I like him because he is the best at what he does, period. He works harder than anyone, and it shows. That inspires me. It inspires me as a parent to culture my daughter's strengths to help her be the best at what she does. Earl Woods had a golf club in Tiger's hands at 3. How did he know to do that? My child has not come with a stamp that says "Greatest ever at basketball." I would like to know how you can see what gifts your child has and then how to help them develop those gifts without burning them out or becoming obsessed with their accomplishments. I am not saying my daughter is a Tiger Woods, but how would I know the difference? I think she is a very remarkable little girl and I feel the weight of guiding and directing her paths. Even as I sit here and write these things, one thing occurs to me. There is one thing that I want for Abbie above all else. I want her to go to heaven more than anything in this world. If that means she has Tiger Woods' talent at something and does not use that talent, but goes to heaven, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. I hope to be a parent that encourages my baby in her talents, but I will be a parent that encourages my baby in her faith. Anyway, those are my thoughts after watching Tiger Woods today. I still have no new pictures yet, I tried today and did not get any good ones. Thanks for sharing with me and I will be back soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really appreciated your comments today and so pleased with your hope for Abbie--with God as most important priority. I told Amber recently that I had gotten some tapes at Tahoe that I wanted to share with you two, but I'd almost changed my mind until I read this. Now, I think you would really appreciate them. There are six cd's by John W. Smith on "Teaching Faith to Your Children." I just wish we had heard them when you and Jami were Abbie's age. Anyway, I'll get them to you. I love you!