Monday, March 10, 2008

Father's Day



"I tried hard to have a father, but instead I had a Dad." -"Serve the Servants," Nirvana


I have come to a conclusion. This is a serious issue and one that I have thought about long and hard. I know many of you may not believe this one but I am sure I am right. Ready? OK, here it is: I LOVE AND ADMIRE MY FATHER VERY MUCH. Shocking, isn't it? I came to this realization as I thought about how I have seen my father in people around me. My Chemistry professor and advisor in college, Dr. Baxter, reminded me of my father very much. A couple of pharmacists that I have worked with reminded me of dad. And, most recently, Hugh Laurie in House, reminds me of dad. Let me explain the last one, I do not mean he reminds me of dad in how he acts to people. He just looks like dad. His eyes and expressions make it seem like my father is playing that part. When House bought a motorcycle, and then had a migraine (even though it was self-induced) it was just like, hey this sure reminds me of dad. House is also very intelligent, and he does the right thing (even if his methods to get there are somewhat shady). I say all this to illustrate that when I see my father in others I feel like it is a tribute to him. I and my father are not the best communicators on the planet (just ask our wives), but the example that he gave me in his actions was far more than he could ever say. I just hope I can have a similar impact on Abbie.


This is one of the songs that Abbie learned at Mother's day out. It is heard in the halls of our home almost as much as the B,B,C's and "How I wonder what you are."

3 comments:

Dannielle said...

Whose baby is in the photo with your parents? I agree that your father looks like House. But your dad isn't sarcastic like Dr. House! Your dad is very kind.

Unknown said...

I've really got to see HOUSE! I had no idea! I do know that we are blessed in having a dad who loves us! I, too, admire and love him so.

Anonymous said...

"I'm all astonishment."
See what 41 years of marriage will do for you. Mom is a Duke fan and I'm quoting P&P!
Love you guys!!