Sunday, March 11, 2007

I have returned...




Yes, I am back. For those of you (probably all of you) that were happier with the writing style of my wife, let me just say that I am sorry to disappoint. But this IS my blog. My wife mentioned that she did not want to have a blog of her own. She felt like she was correcting everything to try and make it "perfect." She has read my blog before, so I have no idea what she was worried about. Anyway, I was glad she wrote about the trip to Kansas City. I am still kicking myself that I did not go, yes I really am.


Now on to my thought for tonight. I have been thinking about this for a few days now. I have had many memorable days in my life thus far: the day I married my wife, the birth of my daughter, the day I was baptized, graduation from college, to name a few. But recently I experienced an event that few have the pleasure of experiencing, and even fewer who take note of the memorableness of the occasion. Last week, Abbie was sick with a stomach virus and twice I happened to be holding her when she vomitted. I am not talking about little baby spit up that you wipe away with a burp rag. This was empty-the-stomach full bore chunky clam chowder vomit. You know, there is nothing like the smell of stomach acid. I did not get hit by the full blast, but a glancing blow was enough. The thing that makes it a memorable moment is not that my daughter threw up on me (that makes it a humorous story). The thing that makes it memorable is how bad I felt for my daughter as she was as sick as I have seen her in her young life. I was unable to do anything for her except hold her over the sink as she finished up and then try to console her as best I could. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are very hard on the little ones, and unfortunately often just have to run their course. She is back to normal now, I am happy to say. But, I will not forget that vomit, believe me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back. I've missed hearing about you all and seeing pictures of your beautiful child.

The 5 of Us. said...

Hello- it's been about 4 months. How is Abbey ???? We all want to know.

Franklin Wood said...

He has returned...only to go missing again!!
Hey, hope the fam is doing well. What's new in your life?